Conditions of entry
For the convenience of our visitors and the safety of the art, we require and appreciate your compliance with these conditions.
While within the Gallery's building and grounds, you must not engage in dangerous or inappropriate behaviour, illegal acts or infringe the rights of any other person. If you fail to comply, you may be asked to leave or you may be removed from the premises.
All persons entering the Gallery and the Sculpture Garden do so at their own risk. The Gallery and Sculpture Garden are continuously monitored by surveillance cameras.
To help us protect our displays and exhibitions from damage, we ask visitors to observe the following conditions of entry to the Gallery:
- Items where any one side is longer than 40cm, such as bags, backpacks, umbrellas, baby backpack carries, tripods and monopods are not permitted in the exhibition areas. Free supervised storage is available in the Foyer cloakroom.
- For safety reasons children are not permitted to be carried on the back or shoulders. We have strollers that are available for free at our cloakroom for use within the NGA only.
- Food and drink are not permitted in any exhibition area.
- Bottled water is able to be consumed in the foyer areas only, ask staff for details and assistance.
- All of the National Gallery's buildings and immediate surrounds are smoke-free.
- Touching of art work is not permitted.
- Trained, registered and visibly identifiable guide, hearing and other assistance dogs are welcome to visit the Gallery when accompanied by their handler.
Photography and copyright
Many of the works of art on display are subject to copyright protection, and commercial photography is prohibited.
Visitors are welcome to have handheld cameras and mobile devices in the Gallery. Unless sign-posted to the contrary, you may use these—and similar devices such as camera phones—for personal purposes to the extent authorised by the Australian Copyright Act 1968 for example, for 'research or study', 'criticism or review'.
Further information regarding the Australian Copyright law is available at the information desk.
For the preservation and safety of the works of art, the use of flash or equipment such as tripods, monopoles or selfie-sticks is not permitted within the Gallery.